Category Archives: Excel
Excel’s & (ampersand) symbol is powerful tool for combining columns. For example, you can
- Display names in different ways. Eg., “John” in A1 and “Smith” in B1 can be shown as
- John Smith by =A1 & ” ” & B1
- Smith, John by =B1 & “, ” & A1
- Making a mini-mailmerge for copying & pasting student grades into an email (see video).
- Named fields help with this. Instead of =”Hello, how are you today ” & A1 & “?” , write =Greet & A1 &”?”, and name a cell Greet with the opening message.
- Another useful function is =char(10), which inserts a line break into your text.